Facts About Intervac
We Are the Original Home Exchangers
What a way to travel! Intervac isn't just a company - but a way of life that our founders discovered and pioneered. Since 1953 we have been leading the way facilitating home exchange between families, singles and retired people. Within the organization our national representatives work together and beyond country borders to make sure that you find the perfect exchange partner and that your holidays are stress-free and fun.
Culturally-Enriching, Environmentally Friendly and Economical.
INTERVAC was started in Europe in the early 1950's by a group of teachers with plenty of vacation time looking for economic means to travel internationally. After a few exchanges, they realized that living in each other's homes was great for cultivating international friendships. Our concept has been growing ever since - primarily by referrals from satisfied home exchangers. Currently INTERVAC offers its services around the world and facilitates home exchanges for 30,000 families from all walks of life.
The name INTERVAC is made from words
We keep a low profile, taking care of our 30,000 members. Our growth is fueled by referrals from satisfied members. We have agents in 48 countries, we speak your language and live in your culture. We are here to guide and advise you how to get the most out of your home exchange experiences. If you have questions, we'd love to hear from you.
Even our online service is environmentally friendly. In 2007 were again the first, and as far as we know we are still in 2011, the only home exchange organisation to host our servers in a high security server farm powered entirely by renewable hydro-electric power. Intervac International is committed to keeping our planet healthy, without missing out on all the fun!
About our Members
Our members are relatively affluent, well educated and passionate about expanding their horizons. Typically they are home owners with one or two incomes from professional and executive occupations, small business owners, or self-employed. Their average age is between 35 and 60 and often there are children living at home. We are also happy to call an adventurous group of retirees, busy seeing the world and enjoying the benefits of home exchange, our members as well.
What types of vacation does Intervac's online system support?
- Home Exchange: Our main focus - two families agree to live in each other's homes over a specified period of time.
- House Sitting: Looking after someone else's home, mail, pets while they are away.
- Double Exchange: Two families (often they live near each other) looking to exchange with two families. This type of exchange is a favorite of neighbors who vacation together and extended families.
- Hospitality Exchange: Members agree to exchange visits in each other’s homes.
- Long Term Exchanges: between retired people, university staff, or employees of global multi-national companies.
- Bed and Breakfast: This is the same as the well known public variety, but is offered between members, without the exchange of monies.
- Rentals: Members sometimes list holiday homes which they usually rent out for a drastically reduced price to members.
- Youth Exchange: A chance for young people to learn about new cultures without their own parents hanging around all the time.
- Youth Hospitality: Young people agree to visit each other.